New Student Counseling Workshop

Welcome!  This is an interactive workshop that will require a minimum of 2 hours to complete.  This online New Student Counseling Workshop is the other option to an on-campus 2 hour group workshop.  Contact Counseling at (661) 395-4421 to schedule an in-person New Student Counseling Workshop. This online workshop is recommended for students that are self-motivated and have strong reading and computer skills. Do not proceed if you do not have access to a printer. Contact Counseling (661) 395-4421 for further instructions.

To complete this workshop you must know your college assigned StuStudentdent ID (or SSN#) and your PIN number you created when you applied to BC.  The user Account Manager on the BC login webpage can be used to look up your Student/Employee User ID, change your password or change your security question. If you have any problems using these numbers you must contact the Admissions Office in person.

It is very important that you take the time to read all sections carefully and slowly. It is REQUIRED that you complete ALL activities in this workshop.  You will not understand what classes to sign up for if you do not write down the information that you are requested to provide throughout each activity.  The activities are designed to help students sign up for their classes without the need to see a counselor or educational advisor.   This workshop is for new students who have never attended Bakersfield College (BC) or for those students who have been out of college for several years.  

Note: If at any point during this workshop you are having difficulty understanding the material, completing the required activities, or passing the quiz, the counseling department strongly recommends that you stop and contact the Counseling Department to schedule an in person two-hour group workshop on campus.


You will need to have your assessment results to complete this workshop. If you do not have your assessment results in front of you, it is strongly recommended that you obtain a copy of your assessment scores before proceeding. Assessment scores will be needed to register for Mathematics and Writing/English courses.

NOTE: Without assessment results you may be prohibited from registering for other classes that have Math, Reading or Writing /English prerequisites.  If you have misplaced your assessment scores, please visit the Assessment Center for a duplicate copy.

If you have not taken the assessment exam, click below for information on test dates, times and location.   If English is your second language you may also click here to access information about ESL assessment (English as a Second Language)

You may be exempt from taking the assessment test if you have completed transferable Math or English courses at another college and earned a minimum grade of "C", or if you believe you took the equivalent of English B1a at another college.   Please bring a copy of your transcripts (unofficial or official) to the Counseling Center for review by an Educational Advisor.  If you have earned an Associate's degree or higher, you are exempt from completing this workshop.

Upon completion of this workshop, you will be able to:

1)    Interpret your Assessment results

2)    Select classes for your first semester which may include an educational planning course, Academic               

        Development/Basic Skills courses (if needed), General Education courses, Major/Certificate courses, Electives

3)    Integrate college success strategies during your college education

4)    Register for classes

All new students should complete the matriculation steps below before continuing with this workshop: 

A minimum score of  70 % correct is required to receive credit for the counseling component.  If you do not pass the quiz, or you do not know what classes to sign up for your first semester, repeat this online workshop again or contact the Counseling Center to schedule a two-hour New Student  group workshop.

Matriculation Steps in Summary

1st Step


2nd Step


3rd Step


4th Step


Matriculation Steps


Let's Begin

StudentDownload and print a copy of each of these documents before proceeding:

If you are a Nursing, Radiologic Technology, Vocational Nursing student, please click here for Allied Health program brochures.

Click here for enrolling information

Click here for Important Dates

Your Assessment Results

StudentBakersfield College, like all colleges, assess students in Math, Reading and Writing/English in order to place them in classes where they are most likely to succeed.  If you scored below level 05 on your assessment test, it may mean that you need to build your Basic Skills in one or more of these areas.

Enrollment in Learning Communities (LRNC)/Basic Skills courses, should be a high priority if you assessed in placement levels 00 through 05.

If Academic Development (ACDV)/Basic Skills courses are filled at the time of your registration, and you enroll in other courses that recommend higher Reading or Writing/English levels than you have assessed into, you may find these courses to be extremely challenging.  Academic Development (ACDV)/Basic Skills courses help students build a solid foundation in Math, Reading and Writing/English.  These courses help students to be successful in college and in their chosen careers.



Look at your assessment results in Math. The minimum Math class required for an associate degree is Math B70 (Intermediate Algebra). Additional math courses may be required beyond Math B70 depending upon the major. If you placed into Math level 00, you need to register for Learning Community B516 (LRNC B516).

This Math requirement may also be met with a combination of two years of high school algebra with a minimum grade of "C" each semester and completion of any general education Math course.   The general education Math courses can be found in the Graduation and General Education, Section B; "Physical Universe and Life Forms" 'B2'  see current catalog. To visit the Math Department website, click here.

If you believe your test results do not accurately reflect your Math abilities and you would like to retest, contact an Educational Advisor for an Assessment Test Authorization form.

If you are a recent (within 2 years) high school graduate, you may come in to the Counseling Department with your high school transcript (official or unofficial) to see an Educational Advisor about a possible change in placement.  High school math classes must be completed with a minimum "C" grade.  If eligible, you may be moved up one level.  However, the Counseling Department strongly recommends you retest in Math first, prior to requesting a change in your level based on high school transcripts.

Note: A student who successfully completed Math Analysis or Pre-calculus in high school within one year and received a grade of "C" or better; or took the AP Calculus exam and scored a 2 or less can be placed in Math B6a (Calculus).

Required ActivityRequired Activity:

Write the Math course you assessed into on your Class Recommendation Worksheet (Line 1)

If you would like more information about the Math course you placed into, click here to read the course description in the College Catalog.



Take a look at your assessment results in Reading.  If you placed in level 05 it is recommended (not required) that you register for Academic Development B50 (ACDV B50).  If you scored into level 06, you are not required to take Reading classes.  

If you believe your test results do not reflect your reading ability or if you scored below level 02 in Reading, you will need to retest by contacting an Educational Advisor for an Assessment Test Authorization form OR consider attending Bakersfield Adult School.  For more information about the Adult School click here

It is recommended that students take Academic Development courses in Reading before they take general education or major courses.  If Academic Development/Basic Skills courses are filled at the time of your registration, and you enroll in other courses that recommend higher Reading or Writing/English levels than you have assessed into, you may find these courses to be extremely challenging.

Required ActivityRequired Activity:

Write the Reading course you assessed into on your Class Recommendation Worksheet (Line 2).  If you assessed into Level 06, write "no reading courses required" on Line 2.

If you would like more information about the Reading course you placed into click here to read the course description in the College Catalog.

If you think your Reading results are not reflective of your abilities, please come in to see an Educational Advisor in the Counseling Department for an Assessment Test/Authorization form to retest.



Look at your assessment results and notice where you placed in Writing/English. The minimum English class needed for an associate degree is English B1a.

Required ActivityRequired Activity:

 Write the Writing/English course you assessed into on your Class Recommendation Worksheet (Line 3). For students who placed into Level 06 - English B1a, you will need to complete this course, unless you received a minimum score of 3 or higher on the Advanced Placement Exam (AP).

If you would like more information about the English course you placed into click here to read the course description in the College Catalog. For additional information, click here.

If you think your Writing/English results are not reflective of your abilities, please come in to see an Educational Advisor in the Counseling Department for an Assessment Test/Authorization form to retest.

If you believe your test results do not reflect Writing/English abilities, or if you scored below level 03 in Writing/English you will need to retest by contacting an Educational Advisor for an Assessment Test Authorization form OR consider attending the Bakersfield Adult School.   For more information on the Adult School click here ( . 

If you are a recent high school graduate with a cumulative g.p.a. of 3.00 or higher, you may qualify to be moved up in English one level.  Bring an official or unofficial high school transcript and see an Educational Advisor in the Counseling Department to determine your eligibility.

If you took the equivalent of English B1a at another college, you will need provide a copy of your transcript (official or unofficial) to an Educational Advisor.

The following is an example of  assessment results and placement on the class recommendation sheet.

Sample class recommendation sheet filled based on sample test scores.

Class Recommendation worksheet

Can other factors be used to adjust my assessment level?

Students who complete Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) courses in high school and take the test and pass with a score of 3 or better will get college credit for a variety of subjects. Example:  A minimum score of 3 on either the AP English Language or English Literature test will earn you English B1A credit at Bakersfield College.  Note:  Some colleges require higher than a 3 for AP credit.  Check with an Educational Advisor/Counselor for more information.

After you have completed a minimum of 12 units, you may submit a Request for Evaluation form (PDF file) to BC’s Admissions and Records Office.  Make sure you have the official College Board test results sent to the BC Admissions Office.  See an Educational Advisor to determine your eligibility.

If you took an "Early Assessment of Readiness for College English" (EAP) course in high school, you will need to provide your results to an Educational Advisor in order to be cleared and to be able to register for English B1a.

Educational Planning


It is strongly recommended that you register for an educational planning course in your first semester or as soon as possible.  Completion of your individual student educational plan meets a BC  graduation requirement and will provide you an earlier registration date for upcoming semesters.  For more information on early registration appointments refer to the Admission and Registration section of the current college catalog.  Most importantly, completion of your educational plan will provide you with a list of classes that are needed to complete your educational and/or career goal. 

Some majors have their own specific educational planning courses (see list below)


If you do not see you major listed above, but have declared a major, the Counseling Department recommends you register for STDV B1-Student Development B1- Educational Planning. 

If you are undecided on a major, register for STDV B2- Career Decision Making and Educational Planning; or STDV B6 - Tools for College Survival ; a study skills, career development and educational planning course.

International Students should register for STDV B4- International Student Orientation and Educational Planning.


 Required ActivityRequired Activity:

Write the educational planning course you plan on registering for on your Class Recommendation Worksheet (Line 4)

You should now have Math, Reading (if required), Writing/English and Educational Planning courses listed on your Class Recommendation Worksheet (Lines 1,2,3,4)

Optional Activity:

For students who want to have practical training for studying effectively for college classes the Counseling Department recommends students sign up for courses in Academic Development B70a-f series.  Click here for ACDV B70a-f course descriptions. Topics include time management, note taking, textbook reading, test taking, memory and vocabulary.

Write the study skills courses you may want to enroll in on your Class Recommendation Worksheet (Line 5).


Your First Semester

In your first semester of college your goal will be to sign up for courses.  The courses you select could include classes in areas like General Education, Major, or Electives. These areas will be discussed below.  The Counseling Department recommends that students not sign up for more than 12 units in their first semester.


Required ActivityRequired Activity:  
Look at the General Education patterns you printed earlier (under "Let's Begin" title above).

General Education

The General Education Program at Bakersfield College includes those courses required of all students, regardless of major or career goals, for the Associate Degree or for transfer to a four-year institution.

The General Education Program has been designed to address the needs of men and women of all ages, abilities, ethnic identifies, life styles and goals.  Through general education, college seeks to foster knowledge, skills, and attitudes that will empower students to shape the direction of their lives and their environment. In your educational planning courses you will learn about graduation and transfer requirements. 

There are three general education patterns.  Select one of the three general education patterns listed below based on your educational goal.

Determine which one of the three general education pattern noted above you will follow: BC, CSU or UC (IGETC) and then prior to selecting classes, read each section carefully and pay special attention to the minimum number of units required to satisfy each section.  Circle courses that you may want to research further.

Before selecting general education classes, consider the following:

  1. To learn more about courses, prerequisites, and degree/transfer applicability refer to the Course Description section of the current college catalog 
  2. It is recommended that you select courses based on your own decision and research and interest.  This could include talking to individuals in your career field.
  3. There is no limit as to how many general education classes a student may enroll in their first semester
  4. Contact an Educational Advisor to be cleared to register for a course  with a prerequisite  met through your high school transcript or college transcript (for example to sign up for Chemistry B1A you must provide a high school transcript that shows you passed high school chemistry with a "C" grade).

Required ActivityRequired Activity:  
List the general education courses you wish to sign up for in your first semester on your Class Recommendation Worksheet (Lines 6-10). Students may enroll in as few as one general education per semester, or more.

Your Major

Many students come to college knowing what their major is and may want to take major specific courses in their first semester.  BC offers many certificates, associate degrees and courses that lead to transfer. 

What is a Major? A major is a group or series of courses designed to provide intensive education or training in a specialized area.  Students may take classes for their major any semester they choose as long as they are eligible for the course (read course description for prerequisites), the course is offered in the term and seats are available. 

"As you think about a field of study, consider these points;

In addition the following resources could be used to gather more information about your major:  Interest Inventories, seminars and workshops, career exploration courses, faculty members, organizations and clubs, internships, and volunteer experience." (On-Campus - An Interactive Guide To College.  Diane S. Fitton, 2009)

For a list of your specific major course requirements click here "Programs of Study" (PDF) or visit the current BC catalog on the webpage.

Program/Major Information Sheets (PDF):
Download the latest free version of Acrobat Reader to view and/or print PDF files here Adobe Reader

The following majors have prerequisites that we encourage students to take as soon as possible:

Engineer Core course work and specific discipline (recommend transfer counselor for guidance)
Liberal Studies
(Designed for Elementary School Teachers)

Pre-Med major preparation
Pre-Pharmacy major preparation
Radiologic Technology

Please click here for more Allied Health program brochure information

What is a certificate?  A certificate is the completion of coursework in a specific area of study. Example: Emergency Medical Technician  (EMTC) certificate. Note: Students are not required to complete General Education requirements UNLESS it is a requirement of their certificate. For additional certificates, please refer to the college catalog online or the Degrees and Certificates website

What is Career and Technical Education (CTE)?  CTE strengthens the academic and career and technical skills of students through the integration of academics with career and technical educational programs.  It also provides students with strong experience in and understanding of all aspects of an industry, which may include work based learning experiences.

What is an Associate Degree?  The Associate of Arts or Associate of Science Degree (AA/AS) is completion of major specific areas of study and general education coursework. Students must complete a minimum of 60 degree applicable units, with at least a 2.0 grade point average.  The sixty (60) units include general education, major and electives if needed.

Undecided Majors: Students do not need to declare a major right away.  However, it is strongly recommended that students declare a major by the end of their second semester in college. If you are undecided about a major you should begin to focus your thoughts regarding your values, personality, interests, and skills toward a college major.

Students need to be aware that many occupations do not have a strong relationship to a specific college major. Employers are looking primarily for candidates who are well-rounded individuals and who have done well in college no matter what their major.  Therefore, identify a major that interests you and in which you can excel and enjoy the learning experience (Career Fitness Program 5th Edition).  To learn more about career information see below.


You will need to gather information about how jobs are related to college majors. Whenever you meet people who have interesting jobs, do you own research by asking them if they have a degree in what major. Since many people have majored in subjects seemingly unrelated to their jobs, your big choice will be to decide whether to choose a major closely related to an interesting area of work, for example, a business major to become a manager, or if you should select a major that seems most interesting to you at this time in your life, for example, communication or psychology. The fact of the matter is that either major can lead you to a successful business career.

If your career assessments and research does not suggest a specific major, you may need to sample some introductory courses to see if they appeal to you. For example, you may want to take a course providing an introduction to criminal justice, sociology, or engineering.  It is better to sample several majors during one or two semesters than to prematurely choose one major, only to find out after several semesters that you don't really like that field. (Career Fitness Program 5th Edition).


If you know your major and want an AA/AS degree and are not planning to transfer, complete the next activity.

Required ActivityRequired Activity:  

Programs of Study".  Write down the courses required for your major on the Class Recommendation Worksheet (Lines 6-10)

Note:  To find your specific major/program of study you will need to look carefully in the catalog using the Index.  For example the  Registered Veterinary Technician Certificate will be found under Agriculture.


If you know your major and are transferring to a California State University (CSU) or University of California (UC) with an AA/AS degree,  complete the next activity:

Required ActivityRequired Activity:

A list of major courses can be found in the current BC catalog under "Programs of Study". Write down the courses for your major on the Class Recommendation Worksheet (Lines 6-10) or print the page with your major courses. Then go to, a student-transfer information system. See example below and write down the lower division major preparation courses listed on the right hand side of the page on the Class Recommendation Worksheet (Lines 6-10). Completing these courses will ensure a higher probability of your transfer and acceptance by the CSU or UC.

Caution:  Architecture and Engineering and other high unit major students planning to transfer need to concentrate on major classes. In addition, four year colleges neither require, nor recommend, that engineering majors complete lower division general education requirements prior to transfer.


If you know your major and are transferring without an AA/AS degree to a California State University (CSU) or University of California (UC) complete the next activity:

Required ActivityRequired Activity:

Go to  See example below and write down the lower division major preparation courses listed on the right hand side of the page on the Class Recommendation Worksheet (Lines 6-10)

Click on the first dropdown menu to choose Bakersfield College.
Click on the second dropdown menu to choose a CSU or UC of your choice.
Click on the third dropdown menu to choose your major and view the equivalent courses at BC.

Using assist help screen

If you need more assistance with Assist, go to the help "Using Assist" link.

Assist lower division major preparation courses and BC equivalency


Are there any other courses I can register for? 


Some students want to build specific skills for the workplace or take specific classes because of a personal interest or hobby.  These courses are elective courses.  Look at the current class schedule to see what is being offered.

If you are employed, you may want to consider Work Experience credit.  Click here for additional information


Required ActivityRequired Activity:  Write down any elective or Work Experience courses you wish to register for on your Class Recommendation Worksheet (Alternates section - Lines 1-3)

Finally, how many units should I enroll in?

It depends on your unique situation. Students who are employed full-time (40 or more hours per week) should limit themselves to no more than 6 units or 2 courses.  Students employed no more than 20 hours per week, may register for 12 or more units or 3 to 4 courses if they choose.

NOTE: In selecting classes consider the degree of difficulty in the subject matter, the time of day,  other time commitments such as family and work that could impact your success in the course.

 The following chart is a valuable tool for students to estimate the amount of study time needed to be successful in courses:

Total Work Hours

Per Week

Recommended Number

of Classes
Per Semester

Estimated Study Time

In hours
















Class Schedule Help

StudentThe following guidelines will help facilitate your use of the online class schedule.
  • Each course section has a 5-digit CRN (Course Reference Number, Example: 51234)  to the left of the course name. This is the number you will use to register for a given course
  • Most courses meet multiple days (Example, Mondays and Wednesdays or Tuesdays and Thursdays)
  • The letter 'R' in the online schedule under the heading 'Days' stands for Thursday
  • The term 'staff' means that the department has not yet identified a specific instructor for the course
  • The term 'TBA' (To Be Announced) means that the information will be provided at a later date
  • BC offers classes at several locations (Example: Delano, Arvin) and in different formats (Example: on-line, hybrid) so be sure to check the location and format of the course you want before you register. If you are not careful you may find yourself registering for a class at Delano or Arvin or an on-line class at Porterville College.
  • Not all courses begin the first week of school - these are called "late starting classes".  Make sure you check the beginning and ending dates of each class.
  • You can check for required  course prerequisites by double-clicking on the course reference number (CRN).  A Prerequisite is a requirement that must be completed prior to enrollment in a course.
  • All classes have a limited number of seats available including online classes. If a course you want to register for is closed, use the automatic waitlist. If a seat becomes available, you will be automatically enrolled into the class. If you are still on the waitlist on the first day of class, you must attend the first day the class meets  to find out if a seat has become available. If you do not want to be on the waitlist for a class,  another option is to pick an alternate time to take the course or pick a different course altogether.
    Go to for a brief demonstration on how the waitlist works.
  • A maximum of 19 units may be taken per semester. Summer school maximum is 7 units.

Financial Aid


More than 85% of Bakersfield College students receive some sort of financial assistance. If you'd like to be considered for financial aid, apply online for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid ((FAFSA). To find out if you qualify, click here BC Financial Aid office for more information. If you need assistance with any of the financial aid forms, please visit the Financial Aid Office located on the second floor of the Student Services Building. 

California residents who qualify for assistance may apply to have their tuition fees paid through the Board of Governor’s Waiver (BOGW).  Forms can be found on the financial aid website or by visiting the BC Financial Aid office. 

  • Board of Governor's Waiver (BOGW) will cover your tuition fees automatically, if you qualify. Be sure to pay any left over fees that BOGW does not cover.
  • You can pay online with a credit card at the time of registration
  • You can pay by mail (due within 10 days of registration) or pay with cash, check, or credit card in-person at the Business Services Window in the bookstore on the main BC campus or at the Delano campus Admissions and Records building.

Costs for College

  • Students who are California Residents not receiving BOGW must pay $46.00 per unit.  These fees must be paid within 10 days of registering for classes or you will be dropped from your classes.  You will not receive a bill from BC. 
  • Textbooks can be purchased at the BC Bookstore,  purchased online or rented through college textbook websites.  Click here for more information on the BC Bookstore. Students should budget a minimum of $100 per class for books.

  • To park on campus students will need to pay a $30 fee every semester.  Permits can be obtained online through

High School to College Transition

In order to help you succeed in college, you will need to understand the fundamental differences between what is expected of you in high school and what is expected of you in college. 

Bakersfield College offers 2-sixteen week long semesters (Fall and Spring) and Summer sessions that can range between 4 and 8 weeks. It is expected that you will be motivated and take the time to learn the material presented in your classes.  Students often struggle with the increased demands on their time. Often relationships with family and friends undergo dramatic changes.  The increased workloads of college, combined with the outside pressures of working to earn money, can be stressful.  It is important that you maintain healthy living habits to counteract and minimize these effects as well as by practicing time and money management skills. 

Many of your college courses will include lecture and textbook reading assignments. Your classes will meet less frequently compared to high school classes, but your instructors will expect you to spend a minimum of 2 hours of outside classroom study for every hour spent in class.  For a 3-unit class that meets twice a week for about 3 hours, 6 hours will be necessary to complete reading, research, writing and other assignments.  Learning to use the library to increase your research skills is critical. Another example of the difference between college and high school is in math you take one full year in high school, but only one semester in college.

Class attendance in college is extremely important to your success.  In some classes you may notice that regular attendance is not taken.  At the same time many instructors do check attendance and drop students for lack of attendance.  The Counseling Department recommends that you attend classes regularly to avoid being dropped. Even one or two absences may impact your understanding of the material and/or your final grade..

You may need to work hard to earn A , B or C grades.  The simple completion of an assignment is not enough.  Be sure that you read your course syllabus (summary of the course and its requirements) which will be given to you by your instructor, usually on the first day of class.  Among other things, the syllabus contains assignment due dates, quiz/exam dates, research paper deadlines, instructor's office hours etc. Exam questions may be based upon lecture, textbook reading and other assignments.  There is more analytical and research writing required in college.  Effective reading comprehension, note-taking abilities and paying attention in class are crucial to your success.

If you are not computer literate, it is strongly recommended that you register for an introductory course like Computer Studies B3 (Computer Concepts and Survival Skills).  Most faculty expect students to do assignments and papers on a computer.

Textbooks are often wordy, with many examples, and it is important for students to learn to identify the main ideas.  It is also important for you to be aware of your learning style, because all students do not learn in the same way.  Click here to assess your learning style and identify study skills

College students need to be effective communicators, knowing when to ask for help when they need it.  Make use of opportunities to ask your professor questions about lectures, upcoming exams and anything that confuses you.  Visit your professor during their office hours, if necessary.

There are many resources available to you on the Bakersfield College and Delano campuses.  Before or during your first semester, it is recommended that you familiarize yourself with the Tutoring Center, Reference Librarians and other Student Services. 

College 101

Important Terms

Fall Semester - 16 weeks (August - December)

Spring Semester - 16 weeks (January - May)

Summer Session -  4 - 8 weeks (June - July)

Class Unit/Credit - Equal to one hour of instruction

Prerequisite - Requirement to be completed prior to enrollment in a course (see course descriptions)

Recommended - Preparation in English or Reading to be successful in a course (see course descriptions)

Full-Time - Minimum 12 units/ Maximum 19 units (Summer - Maximum 7 units)

Drop/Withdrawal Dates - Students not attending classes need to refer to appropriate Drop/Withdrawal dates or may receive "F" grades

Online or Hybrid - Instructional delivery mode (for example: the Internet, Email, Video, and the classroom)

Required grade point average - 2.00 ("C" average)

Course Syllabus - Handout provided by instructor first day of class summarizing class grading, assignments, text and other class expectations


President’s Scholars and Reentry Scholars Program

You may be eligible to become a President’s Scholar if you enroll at BC the Fall semester directly following high school and earn a 3.5 cumulative grade point average or higher in all four years of high school.

You may be eligible to become a Reentry Scholar if you have been out of school for at least 5 years or if you are at least 25 years of age upon enrollment at BC.  You must also hold a 3.75 cumulative grade point average or higher.

 Applications may be obtained from the Dean of Student's Office located in the BC Collins Campus Center, Room 4.  President's Scholars must attach a current high school transcript to the application.  President’s Scholars and Reentry Scholars receive first day priority registration and an honorarium each semester.  For more information, please contact  the Dean of Student's Office at (661)395-4614.

Are students allowed to retake classes as many times as they would like?

REPEAT POLICY for Bakersfield College: If a student earns any combination of "D", "F", or "W" on two attempts in a course, that student may only register for a third time with the signature of the Faculty Chair of the Department.  For further information regarding repeating a course, please refer to the Admission and Registration section of the current BC catalog.

A Few More Suggestions


  Remember, to be a successful college student it is your responsibility to:

  • Print a copy of your class schedule 24 hours prior to the beginning of the semester to make sure you are aware of room changes, course cancellations, campus locations, etc.

  • Check important registration drop and withdrawal dates found in the current BC Catalog.  These dates may also be found on the front page of the BC website under "Important Dates",

  • Attend class and be on time.  Keep in mind that if you do not attend the first day of class, you may be dropped from the roll sheet.

  • Attend the first day of class to see if you will be admitted if you are on a waitlist. 

  • Be prepared to learn and come with pens, paper and notebooks.

  • Know where your classes are located before school starts (refer to the BC map that you downloaded at the beginning of this workshop). It is recommended you walk on campus to locate specific classrooms/buildings.

  • Purchase your books 2 weeks before the start of the semester to insure you are prepared if instructors assign homework the first class meeting and also in the event that the bookstore has to order additional textbooks.  If the class is cancelled, receipts will be needed to be reimbursed.

  • Manage your time by purchasing and using a student planner.

  • Record your assignments and test dates from your syllabus in your student planner during the first week of classes - Review it daily.

  • Study 2 hours for every unit you are enrolled in.

  • Make sure you understand class assignments before you start them.

  • Visit and talk with your instructor during their office hours, especially if you need help.

  • Seek out free tutoring services.

  • Form study groups with motivated classmates.

  • Use the College library.

  • Complete your educational planning course within your first two semesters in order to plan your educational and career goals.

  • Other student success tips can be found here.

Workshop Summary

At this point in the workshop you have interpreted your assessment results, written down classes you will sign up for your first semester, and learned about college success strategies.

If you do not know what classes to sign up for you have two options:

  1. Go back to the beginning of the workshop and pay particular attention to those sections you have questions about OR
  2. Attend an on campus two hour New Student group workshop

Next steps:

Required ActivitySurvey - Required activity:

To help the Counseling Department improve services to students  click here to complete the short online workshop survey  and then proceed to the Workshop Quiz listed below.

Required ActivityQuiz - Required activity: 

Please note that if you do not pass the Workshop Quiz, you may repeat this online workshop. After two unsuccessful attempts the Counseling Department strongly recommends you contact the Counseling Department at (661) 395-4421 to schedule a 2-Hour New Student group workshop.


Click here to complete the Workshop Quiz  and then return here for instructions on how to register online for your classes.

Sign Up for Classes Online

Note: Prior to signing up for classes you need to have in front of you the following items which you were asked to download at the beginning of the workshop.

  • Completed Class Recommendation Worksheet (the classes you wrote down to sign up for)
  • Schedule Planning/Time Management Worksheet (to draft a class schedule on)
  • Step by Step Instructions for Online Registration
  • General Education Pattern you selected
  • List of major courses (if you have declared your major) from the current BC catalog

Class Registration

Required ActivityRequired activity: 

Before you attempt to register for classes, refer to your Class Recommendation Worksheet that you completed during this workshop.  In addition,  the Schedule Planning/Time Management Worksheet is provided to draft a schedule for your personal use.

To make the registration process easier,  read the Step by Step Instructions for Online Registration. These handouts were downloaded at the beginning of this workshop. Also click here for the Registration Information Brochure for additional information on registration and Important Dates.

 The maximum number of units a student is allowed to enroll in for a Fall or Spring semester is 19 units.  However, the Counseling Department strongly recommends new students register for a maximum of 12 units.  In addition, we discourage first time students registering for on-line classes due to the degree of difficulty, time commitment and success rate.

To maximize your chances of getting the courses that you want it is best if you have a flexible schedule and that you use the automatic waitlist if a class you want is already closed when you register.  Remember, being on a waitlist for a class does not guarantee enrollment in that class. 

Registration Log-in Information

Your User ID is either your social security number or your assigned User ID number that begins with @00…… (your User ID has nine characters. ex., @00012345) Please write this number at the top of your Class Recommendation Worksheet.

Your PIN number is the number you created on your Admission form.  If you have forgotten your PIN, click here for the “forgot pin” prompt. If you answer your security question correctly, your PIN will be reset to your birth date in the form MMDDYY.  If you do not answer your security question correctly, you will need to come to the campus and show a photo ID at the BC Admissions Office (located in the Administration Building McKuen Hall) or at the Delano campus at the Admissions and Records office to have your PIN reset.

If you have a Registration Hold and are prohibited from registering for classes, you must contact the Admissions and Records Office for assistance, and may have to provide appropriate documentation.

Click here for more helpful online registration information:


You have now completed the New Student Online Counseling Workshop!  You have signed up for courses for y;our first semester.  We recommend you print out the schedule of classes you signed up for future use. Note:  Check your class schedule frequently to make sure your class information hasn't changed (i.e. room changes or class cancellations)

It is our hope that you will integrate the strategies that you have learned. The techniques shared in this workshop have proven to be invaluable to students who have successfully completed their goals.  The Counseling Department would like to recommend that you print this workshop in its entirety to refer for future use.

"What lies behind us and lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Successful College Graduate