English 50 SLOs
Student Learning Outcome (SLO) for Course
Method of Evaluation/Assessment
At the completion of English 50, the student will be able to perform the following:
Examples of assessment methods include but are not limited to the following:
I = Introduced
D = Demonstrated
M = Mastery
1. Read and think critically about at least 1 book-length work in addition to selected readings
Demonstrate understanding of the readings through quizzes, journal assignments or essays.
2. Evaluate and establish the
credibility an author’s work
Write a critique (analysis/evaluation) of an argument.
3. Demonstrate the legitimate use
of credible sources by
- summarizing and paraphrasing sources.
- synthesizing multiple sources.
- avoiding plagiarism.
Write essay(s) using multiple credible sources.
Observe ethical standards of academic community—no plagiarizing sources.
4. Write papers that
- demonstrate the use of expository and argumentative or persuasive forms of writing.
- demonstrate correct MLA form and citation.
- show evidence of drafting, editing, and revision to reflect an academic style and tone.
- use a variety of sentence patterns appropriately and correctly.
- use the standard conventions of written English—spelling, punctuation, and capitalization.
Write essays in and out of class.
Write homework including but not limited to
- annotations of texts
- journals and other brief writings
Draft: August 29, 2011