International Students

Go to content

Immigration Advising


F-1: Staying in Status
There are basic requirements for maintaining F-1 status in the United States. If you are an international student it is very important to follow the guidelines below to ensure that you remain in good standing with Immigration Services (USCIS):

  • Keep your passport valid at all times.
  • Attend the school noted on your I-20
  • Maintain full-time enrollment every fall and spring semester.
  • Studies should be completed by the completion of studies date on the I-20. However, if more time is needed, obtain a program extension from International Student Services before the completion date has passed. Documents cannot be extended after they expire.
  • Notify International Student Services of any breaks or interruptions in your studies, such as taking less than 12 units required. Breaks in study can impact your ability to apply for immigration benefits in the future.
  • Do not engage in any employment without legal authorization from International Student Services and USCIS.
  • Do not engage in any illegal activities.
  • Report a change of address or phone number to International Student Services.
  • Report other changes directly to the International Student Services.
  • If you have changed your major or degree level, request a new I-20 document from the International Student Services.
  • Maintain adequate health insurance coverage at all times during the entire academic year.

Home Page | Admission Information | Services | Visa Information | Bakersfield College | Counseling | Transfer | Date and Fees | ESL Department | Photos | FAQ | Contact Us! | Site Map

Back to content | Back to main menu