A Tech Prep Program Consists of…
- A broad career path focus that looks at all aspects of an industry
- Applied academics and occupational skill instruction
- Industry connected advisory groups with opportunities for student involvement
- Open access with active outreach to all students
A TECH PREP STUDENT IS…
any student with an identified focus demonstrated by defined career/occupational and educational goals.
TECH PREP SUPPORTS…
- The integration of academic and vocational/occupational education
- The development of links between education and employers to assist in bringing relevance to education
- The development of links which provide smooth transitions between high school and the community college (technical level training)
- The development of career guidance programs which facilitate career development as well as academic development
- Developing and using contextual instruction methods which support the application of knowledge and make clear the relevance of the subject to a students preparation for earning a living
What are California Partnership Academies?
There are about 200 Partnership Academies in California, each selected through a grants competition, and many additional "Academy-like" programs. Each is housed in a public high school and structured as a three-year school-within-a school.
What Role Does Tech Prep Play with California Partnership Academies?
- Promotes a seamless transition to the postsecondary institution
- Develops career awareness necessary for students to make wise choices
- Articulates specific courses designed by academies that may be used for college credit
- Links business partners to the academies for necessary work-based learning opportunities