In the interest of safety students will:
1. Partake of no food or drink while in science
classrooms or laboratories.
2. Memorize the location and use of the emergency
eye-wash fountain, emergency shower, fire blankets, and fire extinguishers.
3. Only work in the laboratory when supervised by an
4. Understand the general procedures and safety measures
to be followed before coming to lab.
5. Do only authorized experiments.
6. Wear sensible clothing (confine long hair and fuzzy
clothing) and enclosed shoes.
7. Keep the lab bench clear, during experiments, of all personal items
except lab materials.
8. Wear approved eye protection and an approved apron at all times
while in the laboratory.
9. Report any (even a cut or a burn) accident immediately so that
proper procedures may be taken if necessary.
10. Check labels on containers to make sure the right chemical of the
correct concentration is used.
11. Use hand protection/lubricant when inserting glass tubing, glass
rods, or thermometers into a stopper.
12. Never return unused reagents to reagent bottles.
13. Smell a chemical only by first taking a deep breath of fresh air,
exhaling , and then wafting the vapors toward the nose with the hand.
14. Clean up all spills immediately, if not sooner...
15. Never taste any chemical or solution.
16. Never point the open end of a test tube being heated towards
17. Dispose of all hazardous chemicals in the appropriately labeled
18. Notify instructor of any mercury spills. Special attention
19. Know the procedures to be taken incase of an explosion, fire, or
20. Clean and dry work area and clean sink before leaving lab each
21. Dispose of solids appropriately and not in the sink.